The weather is gorgeous for outdoor maple syrup activities! It’s not always possible to go out and get tapping yourself, but the Pittsburgh area offers an abundance of fantastic festivals (at which you can almost always getting some pretty darned good pancakes!). Check out any of these events for a good time and good eats.
Weekend of March 19th:
· Maple Sugaring Sugarbrush Tour,Shelter 6 & Park Office, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Mingo Creek Park. Join the Washington County Department of Parks & Recreation staff for a tasty tour of Mingo Creek Park’s Sugarbush. Discover techniques used to turn maple tree sap into 100% pure maple syrup. Historical demonstrations, modern day sap collecting methods and evaporation secrets will be shared. The program will conclude with a pancake breakfast served with pure Mingo Creek Syrup, sausage and a drink at the Park Office. Tours begin every ½ hour. Group size is limited to 20 per tour. Pre-registration is required. Click here for more info!
· PASA Workshop: Sustainable Maple Syrup Production on Any Scale, 9:30-4:30 p.m. Millheim/Rebersburg, Centre County. Click here for more info!
· Taste and Tour Weekend, The Northwest Pennsylvania Maple Association -- syrup and sugar makers in Crawford, Erie, Warren, Venango and Mercer counties -- hold their eighth open house event from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on both Saturday, March 19, and Sunday, March 20. Click here for more info!
· Edinboro Maple Festival, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. both Saturday, March 19, and Sunday, March 20. Gather at the fire department at 125 Meadville St. for pancakes and sausage with local syrup ($7 or $3 for children 12 and younger), as well as music and an arts-and-crafts show and sale. Click here for more info!
Weekend of March 26th:
· Maple Madness, 10 am - 3 pm. Love maple? Then you've come to the right place. Maple Madness, our annual homage to the almighty maple includes a natural history hike to learn how maple syrup has been used and made through the ages. There's also a pancake breakfast with--you guessed it--real maple syrup to get you ready for your adventure on Beechwood's trails. Make your reservation today by calling 412-963-6100. Cost: $6 per member and $10 per nonmember. Children under 2 are free. Register for the event now! And see photos from last year's event here!
· Maple Sugaring at Jennings, 2 to 3:30 p.m. March 27, Jennings Environmental Education Center near Slippery Rock in Butler County gives a free indoor-outdoor presentation on how a tree works and demonstrates maple sugaring. Click here for more info!
· Meyersdale Pennsylvania Maple Festival http://www.pamaplefestival.com/index.htm (through April 3rd). The whole family will have fun learning the history of maple sugaring!
Weekend of April 2nd:
· 34th Annual Beaver County Maple Syrup Festival, Bradys Run Park, Route 51, Fallston, PA. For more info click here!
Weekend of April 30th:
· Maple Syrup Class, 1:00 – 2:30 PM, Molly Enos of Paul Bunyan's Maple Syrup from Rockwood, PA will join us to bring their home made Maple products to Pittsburgh for a unique class. Learn how REAL Maple syrup is made, how it was made in the old days versus today, cooking tips using Maple products, and taste what the REAL thing is as opposed to the jug-o-mostly-corn-syrup that most tend to buy for their breakfast pancakes. Click here for more info!